Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Josiah's Prayer Quilt

Over the Labor day weekend we had family come into town, my Uncle Mike and Aunt Debbie. Growing up we spent a lot of time with them along with my cousin Jason, who is a year older than I am. They are the closest family we have since it's only about a 3-3 1/2 hour drive to where they live in North Carolina. I enjoy the time we get to spend together, and I wish we could do it more often!!

Now that I'm married it's a little different when we have family in town. They usually stay with my parents and I plan a lunch at my house at some point during their stay. We planned for the family to have Saturday lunch at my house and enjoy spending a little time over this way. Towards the end of our get together, Aunt Deb went to the car and brought in 2 gift bags for Anthony and I to open. I quickly reminded her that that was completely unnecessary!

**One thing I've learned, is people love to buy baby stuff! Especially my mother, who has decided that Josiah needs a little something every 29th day (his due date is Jan. 29th) of each month until he is born...I guess we need to hurry up and get baby furniture so we will have somewhere to put everything!!

Before I opened the first bag, Aunt Deb had me read something on a piece of paper. As soon as I read the first sentence I realized that the gift was a quilt. Each sentence explained certain parts of the quilt and what they each meant. It almost brought me to tears. Aunt Deb mentioned that she had begun working on it sometime around March/April I believe. She had decided she wanted to make us one after she found out about our miscarriage in January. It is by far one of the best gifts we have ever gotten! Mostly because of the thought put into it and the meaning behind it. She also told me that the edging around it was hand stitched by not only her, but also my biological grandmother and great grandmother. How special!!! And what an awesome thing we will be able to pass down. The other bag contained a matching little pillow she had made along with a book filled with little prayers that you can begin to pray for your child.

Here is a copy of the explaination of the prayer quilt (you should be able to click on it to see it better):

 
 
 
One of the corners. The back of the quilt is made
out of the striped material as well
Cute little pillow to match!
They're a little difficult to see in the picture, but there are little pieces of green thread all over the quilt. They are for making prayer knots. Anytime you pray about something you make a little knot...we have made plenty since receiving this beautiful quilt!

Thank you Aunt Debbie!!

1 comment:

  1. Love that quilt and the meaning is even more beautiful! I would love to give somebody that gift over diapers any day...somebody made us a prayer blanket when we were going through a hard time a few years back and I leave it on the couch. One of the best gifts ever.

    ReplyDelete